Significant Dates 1900-1960
Taylor's namesake Herbie Taylor was often seen taking a risk crossing the Peace River on ice in the spring. Once the ice began to break up, the river could be flowing freely within an hour! A favorite annual event was betting on when the ice would go out.
Education came in 1919 when everyone pitched in and built a 16 x 24 foot log schoolhouse known as the Taylor Flats School. It was the first school north of the Peace River in British Columbia.
The D.A. Thomas 1916-1929 was the first and largest sternwheeler steamboat on the Peace. It carried 160 passengers and offered hot and cold running water and electricity! Pure luxury in those days.
The Church of the Good Shepherd was built by Otto Hoffstrom, his neighbours and friends as a memorial to the Hoffstrom's four young daughters who drowned when their car rolled off the ferry.
The Alaska Highway was built in just eight months to secure a northern military outpost in case of a Japanese invasion following the attack on Pearl Harbour. At the peak of construction, 11,500 troops, 7,500 civilians and 11,000 pieces of equipment worked on this great engineering achievement.
The Alcan Ferry was built to help transport the American army while the bridge was under construction. The ferry service served as a vital link connecting the north and South.
The Peace River Suspension Bridge celebrated its grand opening nine months after construction began. It was the longest bridge on the highway at 2,130 feet.
The first rail trestle bridge was constructed across the Peace River- with the first rail crossing taking place in May of 1958.
The Peace River Suspension bridge collapsed spectacularly on October 16th. Fortunately there were no injuries suffered. Watch a film of the event
Industry first moved into Taylor with the construction of the Westcoast Energy pipeline and the Taylor Refinery. Currently, the site of the Spectra Energy Gas Plant.
The Village of Taylor "officially" came into being with the granting of Letters Patent by the provincial government. Members of the first town Commission were: Bob Wheatley, Chairman; Commissioners Glen Kyllo, Paul Hill, Sam Miller and Tony von Hollen.